Have you ever tried to quit a habit?
Depending on how long it has been a habit, it can be quite a challenge!
I’ve got a powerful tip for you today that can help.
Let’s say you want to stop nighttime snacking.
The next time you find yourself doing it, STOP (at least momentarily). Then, ask yourself without any judgment involved:
- What was happening just before you reached for those chips/cookies?
- Where were you?
- What were you thinking about?
- What were you doing?
- What were you feeling?
Those questions can help you unearth the ROOT CAUSE of your habit.
Nearly all of our habits serve a purpose. Or at least they did when we first started doing them.
They may have eased boredom or loneliness, helped us deal with stress, given us a temporary shot of energy, and on and on!
But now the habit isn’t helping. You’ve outgrown it!
When you can figure out the root cause SPARKING your habit, you are better equipped to find a new, upgraded solution (aka swap or stop the habit in favor of something aligned with your current goals).
So, the next time you find yourself snacking after dinner, ask yourself, “What’s really going on here?”
Depending on your answer, here are a few solutions:
- If you’re lonely or bored: make a connection, take a class, start a hobby. Basically, get out of your comfort zone and mix things up!
- If you’re stressed: find ways to burn it off that don’t involve snacking
- If you’re tired: investigate your sleep, exercise, or nutrition habits
- If you’re hungry because you didn’t eat enough during the day: look at your overall nutrition strategy.
For most people, this probably won’t be an overnight fix — but those rarely work anyway.
It WILL help you get to the core of what’s driving your habit, which can help you find ways to improve/eliminate the root cause.
Remember… almost every habit you have was created because it served a purpose (at least for a while) — and sometimes it just takes awareness to shift your actions.
Committed to your success,
PS: If you’re struggling with your fitness journey, our Personal Training Program provides a tailored plan to help you achieve lasting habits and transformative results. Benefit from extra accountability and dedicated support from our experienced trainers, who have guided numerous individuals like you to amazing achievements. Click here and book a free call to learn more!